With fragrance as an important accessory to complete any look, it is essential that the best perfumes and colognes last long on the skin. During the course of a busy workday, or weekend outing, it is impractical (and a pain!) to have to reapply scent.
What makes a scent long lasting? And what are the best perfumes and colognes that will transition well from day to night for women and men?
Why The Best Perfumes and Colognes Last Long
There are many reasons why some fragrances last long and others do not. Although it is tempting to overapply perfume or cologne to lengthen the wear, one of the following might be the issue, making it easy to adjust your process:
- Skin: The epidermis is finicky, and could be the issue. Dry skin does not have the necessary oils that perfume or cologne needs to absorb properly. Therefore, the fragrance evaporates quicker. It is recommended that you apply unscented moisturizer before applying your fragrance. You may also want to layer your scent, if a corresponding shower wash or body lotion is available.
- Concentration: Perfumes and colognes come in a variety of concentrations. The higher the concentration, the more fragrance, emitting a longer lasting scent. An eau de parfum is more concentrated than an eau de toilette; a body spray is the least concentrated of all. Important to remember is that the more alcohol in a perfume or cologne, the faster it will lose its scent.
- Notes: The top, middle and base notes of perfume and cologne have different molecular weights that develop at varying rates when applied to the skin. Top notes evaporate quickest. Middle notes, or the body of the scent, take longer to develop on the skin. Base notes are the final scent to develop and last the longest. Base notes are also a fixative that slows down the evaporation of the top and middle notes, making the overall scent last longer. The stronger the base note, the longer the fragrance lasts.
The Best Perfumes That Last Long
The best perfumes that last long support all-day confidence and mood enhancement. The following are examples of some of the top performers for your consideration.
A subtle scent, Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb is an oriental perfume that is a blend of sweet and fresh notes. It is a beautiful blend of green tea, bergamot, jasmine, freesia, rose, and orchid. The base of this creation is what makes it so unique; musk and patchouli with a touch of milky, powdery notes. It is perfect for a night out and special occasions.
One of the sexiest fragrances on the market, Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium smells of sweet coffee and vanilla. This perfume is ideal for a girls’ night out at the club or when bold and different are called for. It is not meant for those who like light scents, as it is definitely on the stronger side. A little spritz is enough to last all night.
Lancome’s La Vie Est Belle is a very bright, young, and floral perfume. It smells sweet with its iris, jasmine, orange blossom, and patchouli notes paired with hints of blackcurrant and pear. It lasts all day long and is excellent for both daywear and evening wear. It is ideal for younger women, and a tiny spritz goes a long way.
Gucci Bloom is vibrant, but also simple and classy. The scent is created with tuberose, jasmine, and honeysuckle, and although powerful, it is not overwhelming. It is ideal for women of all ages and any season of the year. This is an ideal feminine and delicate fragrance.
- Cartier Basier Vole Eau De Parfum
Cartier’s Baiser Vole represents minimalism. It has the slightest hint of lily with a blend of citrus and greens. This is an exquisite, lady-like favorite fragrance with a peppery edge and is perfect for spring, autumn, or winter. The longer it stays on your skin, the better it becomes. It has a vintage vibe and is ideal for a classy Sunday brunch.
The Best Colognes That Last Long
The best colognes that last long support all-day focus and confidence. The following are examples of some of the top performers for your consideration.
Hanae Mori perfume has a unique note that is perfect for everyday use. It uses woodsy and exotic citruses notes that continuously emit a refreshing masculine tone. It is long lasting and impression making.
Bvlgari Man In Black is a blend of leather tones and natural spices that fits properly in more formal dress codes. There is a mix of amber, woods, rum, iris, and tonka bean notes to produce a bold and compelling masculine scent. It also has a touch of the woods within the mix.
- Prada Luna Rossa Extreme Eau De Parfum Spray For Men
Prada Luna Rossa Extreme is elegant and classy with a lovely blend of quality notes of amber and lavender tones. It is housed in an exquisite case; is mild yet long-lasting; and is a great masculine choice for all-day wear.
Guerlain Habit Rouge leads the pack for men’s long-lasting fragrance. It is highly unique with notes of extracts from citrus, lemon, spices, vanilla, mandarin, and leather. If your preference is a mild refreshing scent with masculine tones, this is ideal.
Christian Dior Homme Intense has a strong fragrance that ensures it lasts long through the day. The elegant design with a stylish and masculine scent makes it seductive. The simple combination of vetiver, ambrette seed, cedar, and iris creates a delicious product.
Long-lasting wear of perfume and cologne is an appealing trait when selecting the best fragrance for your needs. The examples above are a great starting point for making a selection but have fun with the process and play with your options!